Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Young drivers and Seatbelts

When will they ever learn?

Three decades of seat belt laws are credited with saving thousands of Canadian lives, but a growing number of young drivers are paying the ultimate price for refusing to buckle up.

"We need to explore what happens when they become teens to understand their attitudes and the beliefs."

We do not need to explore or study this one at all. The answer is simple. Ask almost any parent of a teen and the answer will be the same. When your children reach their teens, they become brain dead and think that they are invincible. It is a temporary infliction for the most part and thank goodness for that.
"We know that the higher the rate of alcohol consumption, the more the rate of seat belt use decreases," she added.

It's all part of the risky behaviour that young people are known for, says Raynald Marchand, manager of traffic and safety for the Canada Safety Council.

"Quite often what we'll have is the person that is more of a risk-taking driver, will not just have one risk but many risks," he said.

"They're more likely to be impaired, more likely not to wear the seat belts and so on."

You are not invincible, buckle up and give yourself a chance to enjoy the rest of your life.

4 comments:

Candace said...

My neice was incensed when my sister wouldn't allow her to go to a party last Friday - the last Friday before Christmas, when God only knows how many drunks are driving home having had a "few" at the office since no business was being done. My sister wouldn't let her get a ride with anyone, and didn't want to be on the road herself.

I have stayed home on New Year's for the past 10+ years for that reason (combined with it seeming to be a license for slobbering drunks to grab me & kiss me for no good reason other than it's midnight).

I remember being an "invincible" teen and thank my lucky stars that I'm still alive to remember.

"Stupidity - thy name is teenager"

sorry, Shakespeare.

Tim said...

Good for your sister, too bad there are not more parents out there like that. I'm sure in time your neice will figure it out. My daughter now 20 is finally coming around and actually thanking me for the actions I took several years ago, much like you describe. At the time she hated me and would not speak to me for days. Like I said in the post, it is temporary brain damage...;)

Chimera said...

Teenager to parent: "I HATE you!"

Parent to teenager: "Well, at least you'll be alive, and I hope it's a long and healthy hate."

Too many parents these days want to be "friends" to their kids. They don't seem to realize that their kids don't want to be friends back. And by the time they're teenagers, kids know how to push all the buttons that make the marionettes dance.

From a driving instructor with thirteen nieces (!), thanks for posting this!

Tim said...

"Well, at least you'll be alive, and I hope it's a long and healthy hate."
Could not have put it any better had I tried Chimera.