Monday, September 05, 2005

Katrina's other Victim's


As I sit here watching the news from The gulf Coast unfold, my faithful companion and best friend, Roxy, a blacklab dalmation cross, lays beside my chair.

I can't help but think of all the poor animal's, not just pet's, that have been affected by this disaster along with the human suffering. I have seen footage of people refusing to leave thier homes when the authorities tell them they must leave thier pet's behind. These so called "pet's" are just as much a part of these people's family and lives as are thier children, parents, grandparent's ect... How can anyone expect them to just leave them behind? I for one could not imagine ever doing so or even having to make that choice.

Fortunately, things are changing and groups such as:
The Humane Society of the United States
International Fund for Animal Welfare,
Best Friends,
United Animal Nations(EARS),
Noah's Wish,
ASPCA,
are now coming to the rescue of these victim's.

The following sites have a few pictures that show some of the people and thier pets together in the disaster. These are the lucky ones.

Man's Best Freind
Katrina survivors upset over pets left behind

This link has some of the most amazing photo's I have yet to find showing the havoc throughout the gulf coast region caused by Katrina. There are well over 100 photo's on this site. Including many of people and thier pet's.
Daily Sentinel.

In closing I am putting out a challenge to all animal lover's to donate to one of the groups above. My cheque for $100.00 is on its way to The Humane Society of the United States.
I thank you in advance for your generosity.

Update:
Just found this link to a story CNN ran in regards to the same topic.
CNN Video
Pet Finder has started a database to reunite pet's with thier owners seperated by this disaster.

1 comment:

DazzlinDino said...

Good post, forgot about them, oh man, bet the gators are having a hayday down there....