Monday, October 03, 2005

Hooked on Big Game Fishing

I would like to thank the folks over at PeTA for giving me the inspiration to stop using my guns to slaughter poor innocent animals. I have seen the errors of my ways. It is way more exciting not to mention challenging, to fish for them rather than shoot them.

Not sure when I gave them permission to use my photo for this advertising though. I wont complain, as I do believe they did get my good side.


fishkiller

I started by practicing in the back yard using my good ol friend Fido. Being a retriever by nature it was not hard to catch him.



I then tried my luck "Deerfishing". The bucks were a little leary and just would not take my bait. I had to settle for this doe.



Once getting my feet wet so to speak. I moved on to bigger game. I could not believe my luck when I bagged this moose on 100 pound line, and no leader. Someone up there likes me.



Best of all, now I don't have to worry about gun registries, hunting licences, ammo, and all that other expensive stuff I use to buy every fall. Not to mention fishing season is open far longer than is hunting season. My freezer has never been so full.

3 comments:

DazzlinDino said...

Do you use bait at all?? This is a pretty good idea actually. What strenght of line is required for moose? And is this just cast fishing, or is it more like fly fishing? Do you need to follow regular hunting season rules?

Tim said...

Absotutely! I have found very large illegally caught samon work best. In a pinch cod will do the trick but only if taken fresh off of Japanese trollers in Canadian waters off of the Grand Banks.

I was able to land the moose shown here on 100lb test. I would not recomend this for the beginner though.

I have caught smaller game flyfishing. "Beaver" is the perfect target when "fly fishing". I would recomend something a little more beefier when it comes to big game. A nice spincast real, 6' graphite rod spooled with 20lb test is good for anitlope and smaller dear. A 6' to 7' rod with a good baitcasting real spooled with at least 100 lb test is recomended for moose.

Hunting season rules? Hell no, this is fishing! Best of all the fishing regs do not show any limits on how many animals can be caught and catch and release does not apply. However the use of "live" bait and or "barbed hooks" is still not allowed.

Candace said...

I'd like to be a fly on the wall when you go in to buy your 'fishing' license and ask about limits ...