Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Racial Profiling

When you have 44 homicides in one city, the vast majority of which involve a visable group and are in specific area's of that city. Does it not make sense to focus your resourses in those area's and towards that visible group to prevent more of the same?

I don't know about you, but I know that there is a certain group in the city where I live that are responsible for most of the shootings here. I can point them out very easily as I am sure the local police can as well. They are young, from a visible minority and drive expensive, heavily modified import cars. I am not saying that everyone fitting this vague description is guilty of a crime. They do however fit a general description of suspected criminals thus should be under scrutiny by the police when necessary.

It would be no different than the police pulling me over if a crime was commited in the area and I fit the general description of the suspect. It is called "reasonable grounds". I for one would not have a problem with that at all, as I know I have done nothing wrong. Yes it may be an inconvience, and oh my god...I may be late to where ever I was going...hopefully work... at least I know the police are doing thier job and hopefully the next person they pull over is the guilty person.

We must take the handcuffs off of the police and put them on the criminals.

I applaud Michael Thompson for having the guts to come out and state the obvious no matter how politically incorrect his statement was.

1 comment:

Lunchbox said...

Yeah. We had this problem when I was in Jersey -- the cops there pulled over more people of a certain descent than others, statistically speaking.

But the deal is, cops DO profile. They size up anyone and everyone and analyze their behaviour and potential for violence. Boxers size up opponents, cops size up citizens.

Yeah, so they happen to pull over more of a certain descent than others -- but if members of a certain descent or community engage in provocative and fronting behaviour - acting like thugz, as it were - then they should expect to be hassled a bit more like the thugz they want to be.

Of course, in Jersey it seems the pygmalion effect is in full swing so people of a certain look tend to fulfill the stereotype, and I do hope TO is a bit better than NJ.

Maybe we should find the members of certain groups who best want to emulate the loser thugz of NJ and deport them to Trenton or Camden.