Friday, November 11, 2005

In memory of and great thanks to

Today I remember all those who have served and do serve in the armed forces.

In particular:

Rubin Baker, 1888 - 1974, my grandfather who at the age of 24 volunteered for WWI. He was assigned the task of being a stretcher bearer carrying out the wounded from within the trenches. His service in the war is what brought him to Canada from Wales. The WWI "Soldiers Settlement Plan" provided soldiers with a quarter section of farmland in Canada. My grandparents land was 120 miles northeast of Edmonton near the town of Ashmont, which coincedently corespondes with his home in Wales, Mountain Ash. They came to Canada on a Canadian Steamship Liner,"The Montnairn" (pre PMPM days...lol)

Arthur Baker, 1923 - 2004, My father at the age of 21, landed on juno beach with a group of engineers. There primary job was to give targeting information to artillary and bombers. Once on the move they went ahead of the main forces searching the routes and sweeping them of land mines. One of the tactics that they would use to clear buildings along the way may have been concidered very unorthadox but was very succesful. They would open a door to a building, toss a "sten gun", a small machine gun inside. These guns had a very sensitive trigger and would go off when they hit the floor. The design of the gun with its side ammo clip and short stock would allow it to spin in the room firing in all directions.

Albert Morrison, 1933 - , my step father served with the Black Watch in Korea.

7 comments:

Candace said...

They are in my thoughts & prayers tonite. It's weird but our family has always commented on how generationally, we "won" (or "lost") the lottery as the wars fell when the men were in their early teens or had very young families or worked at something seen as "vital to the cause" (like my grandfather the farmer). As a result, Remembrance Day is somehow both distant and close at the same time.

I envy you your close connection, yet am equally happy that as yet, I have none.

Which is weird.

DazzlinDino said...

Sorry I missed this post Tim, excellent post.....

Anonymous said...

Tim,
(Having a senior's moment here. Are you Timmy the G?)
Somewhere in your posts there is a
suggetion by James Bow that the
23rd blog, fifth sentence (which I have taken part in) should begin
an original short story. It's a brilliant suggestion. Would like to take part as soon as I get my
geritol and smart pills.
THE CBC NEW FALL SITCOM SERIES
montage is brilliant and funny as hell. More, more.
Ivan

Tim said...

Sorry Ivan, wrong Tim. I have been tagged by both BPOC and Candace on this meme. I am at a loss though as my 23rd post only has four lines...lol. What can I say, it was a slow day. Maybe I should just biuld on what is there and create a 5th line...hmmm...

Thanks for giving my eggo a boost. No thats not a spelling error. I ment eggo. Gotta love em.

I have a few more "Sitcoms" and some "Movies Trailers in mind. They will keep comming as long as oldtimers disease holds off long enough for me to complete them.

Anonymous said...

Sorry Tim.
You are Russell Baker, right?

Tim said...

Russel Baker is my second cousin twice removed married to my other cousins brother.....

Anonymous said...

What do I know?
I'm just a Sunday observer.
That is neat!
Ivan