Monday, November 21, 2005

Kids today are Whimps


This past weekend in and around Edmonton, two families had to deal with the murder of their 17 year old sons. A few weeks ago an 18 year old girl was shot to death while walking home with friends. To date there have been somewhere in the nieghbourhood of 33 murders in Edmonton alone. Most of which have involved teens and young adults. All of whom had many good years left to live and plenty of reasons to do so. As Bob Dylan said "The times they are a changing". Unfortunately not for the better.

Back when I was in school and a kid myself, things were much different. When we had a dispute over something that could not be settled by peaceful means, we settled it in a relatively fair and non violent way compared to todays standards. Simply put, one would call out the other and they would duke it out one on one. The winner of the fight would walk away, and more importantly so would the loser. One or both may have had some minnor bumps, bruises,a black eye, some bleeding from the nose or lip and the worst part for the loser was a batterd ego. This would usually be the end of the matter.

Today it seems, rarely is it one on one. More times than not there is some kind of weapon involved. Far too often, one or more of the participants do not walk away as they require hospitalization or worse, are dead.

These kids are self centred, do not place any value on life, there own included. They can't seem to do anything on their own and require backing from friends in anything they do.

Have we gone in fast forward for so long as to travel back in time to the old west? Does one have to become the fastest draw to survive in our streets? Where did we as a society go wrong?

In my oppinion, we turned the corner and onto main street Wild West when we as a society decided that:

A) Punishment in schools should be a day off.

B) Authority was beaten down to a point where kids no longer have any respect for their elders or anyone else for that matter.

C) Decisions by the law makers and judges, that continually decrease the powers of the parents over their children and at the same time making parents more responcible for the actions of those out of control kids.

D) The one thing that kept most kids in check through out the years. "The Fear Factor"... this is long gone as well. Kids no longer have that little feeling. You know the one I speak of if you are more than 35 years of age. The fear of what you would face at home if and when you got caught for wrong doing. It did not matter if your parents had never raised a hand to you up to that point, you always had that feeling. This did not only work at home but at school as well. The mere threat of being sent to the principal's office was enough to scare most kids into compliance. This had a double whammy as you knew that word would also get to your parents and you would have to deal with them as well when you got home.

Can we turn back the hands of time? Not a chance, we are well past the point of no return. Can we change the attitudes of our youth? I sure hope so for their sakes. Although this is going to upset alot of people. Here is how I plan on doing my part to help things change.

I challenge all the kids out there to put down their weapons! Leave your friends at home. Walk up to that person that has gone to far and challenge them to a good old fist fight. One on one. Step up and truely show what you are made of. May the best "MAN/WOMAN" win! At least this way niether of your parents will have to go through the agony of needlessly losing a child.

Gangs, guns and other weapons in a fight are for whimps! Prove to me what you are really made of.

9 comments:

Candace said...

Here's hoping they read blogs.

Tim said...

Can they read? I'm seriously considering sending this to both the journal and the sun's editorial. I wonder if they would have the balls to publish it?
Can't hurt to try....

Candace said...

You won't know if you don't try... or send it to Mike Duffy, he's all over blogging these days it seems, he mentioned CalgaryGrit trashing Brison today.

The other thing that's really weird to me (back on topic) is female violence. Girls rarely, if ever, fought physically when I went to school. Now it seems to be commonplace. My daughter has come home with a few stories of girls kneeing guys in the cojones or slapping them, and got physical herself this summer. I spanked her, I think, a total of 5 times in her entire life (although her dad is/was a bit more heavy handed than me, but hasn't raised a hand to her in at least 5 years) - where in hell is she getting the idea it's okay? I asked her and get "I don't know, everyone does it"... WTF?

Sycorax said...

Fine... I posted a "new" joke... jeeze... LOL!

DazzlinDino said...

I remember going outside the bar with a guy in Camrose, he was a little ticked over an incident involving his girlfriend and the backseat of my car. He proceeded to kick my ass in the parking lot, then we went inside, he bought me a whiskey, and we BOTH punted her to the curb. Now THAT'S how you settle it. Part-in-parcel, I also remember being grabbed from behind in a bar brawl, turning and swinging, and hitting a cop square in the face. HE actually apologized and said he should have known better....lol. But that was small town Alberta. Still though, I agree 100% with what you said. It takes NO BALLS whatsoever to hid behind a pistol....

Tim said...

That is one of the problems with the whole thing these days with kids Candace... "I don't know, everyone does it" Our kids have turned into a bunch of sheep. Ask her if her best friends all decided to jump off the CN tower if she would do that too? After all "everyone does it". Girls fighting is nothing new, but as you say it was as common back in our day. I know there was one girl back in elementary that even the guys were scared of. Miss Adams, where are you now?..lol

A politician doing a 180....what has this country come to. Next thing you know they will be stealing our money!

Why am I not surprised that Dino was getting his ass kicked? At least the cop was honest. Personally I would have thrown you in jail just because......;P

Linda said...

I think you should try to send this into the Sun or the Journal - at the very least, it may get people talking. I grew up in Montreal in schools where language, culture as well as all the other wonderful features of adolescence were at play. Many a time, fists and/or words would fly because of a cultural misunderstanding. And when someone's young ego was bruised, they would crawl away ... but come back a few days later - with a whole bunch of friends.

Unfortunately, I think a lot of people - and not just youth - let their self-esteem ride on how many friends will tag along to destroy someone else or how much bravado they can muster in a moment of confrontation - even with a figure of authority.

I am not yet a parent, so I can't speak with that experience to back me up; but I would like to cite something I read in the paper a few days ago. A psychologist wrote that many people have simply given up parenting. Yes, it's true that we sometimes have to let children learn from their own mistakes. But sometimes, I think a little discipline goes a long way. I credit my parents for instilling in me a sense of respect for elders. I chose not to do quite a few things simply because I did not think it was worth getting a spanking or a disappointed look for.

I'll just stop rambling.

Candace said...

That was a good ramble, Linda. As a parent, I see my daughter's friends and yes, some of their parents either never use discipline, or just apply it sporadically, and you can sure tell. Surprisingly, it seems to be more the kids of 2-parent families than single parents. Maybe because single parents CAN'T count on someone else picking up the slack, and CAN'T face dealing with the disaster that lack of discipline brings to a family.

It's a struggle, and it's hard to decide which battles to choose, but it's worth it.

Tim said...

Ramble all you like Linda. Thats what its all about. Heaven forbid should my opinion be the only one expressed here. Blogging is a great way to express ones opinion and get feedback from others and their views on the topic. I welcome your thoughts.

I will have to agree with you Candace. Choosing the battles is the hardest part of parenting. If one chooses to take on all fronts you are destined to lose as the child will soon ignore you as you come off as a dictator. Somethings are best left for the child to workout on their own, even when we as parents know what is right .... :)