Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Quick Responce

Back on January 24 Candace blogged about displaced persons.

Thousands, if not hundreds of thousands, of Canadians have been stripped of their citizenship without notice years ago, and many are just now finding that out. This includes some war brides and, in some cases, their children; children born to Canadian parents outside the country prior to 1977, and probably a few others.

Looks like the government of the day has listened and did in deed take quick action to resolve the problem in a timely manor.
The federal government has set up a new system to restore citizenship quickly to people who have discovered they are no longer Canadians because of a little-known section in the law.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada on Friday added a new option to its hotline, 1-888-242-2100, specifically for people who wish to regain their Canadian citizenship in a hurry.

Kudos's to Citizenship Minister Diane Finley for taking action on this in a timely manor.

Now if only we could get the rest of the bureaucracy to work as quickly on other endeavours.

4 comments:

Candace said...

Wow, I'm impressed! I wonder, though, how complicated it will be for them? Hopefully not so much.

Tim said...

From the article, it sounds like they have done a very good job of dealing with this. So far the numbers are fairly low but I am sure this will swell as more people try to aquire passports that they did not need before now. I am just happy to see that it has been at least dealt with in a swift way. Time will tell how it goes from here.

ABFreedom said...

Whoa.... a government accomplishment ... imagine that..

Anonymous said...

I have to reply to the comments about citizenship, As one of the Lost Canadians, I discovered my citizenship had been stripped several years ago when I enquired about a passport (never had one in the 60 plus years here). The local MP office were no help at all and I am today trying to get this rectified, as are thousands of others (there are now 10 ways you can lose citizenship, therefore 10 different groups of us.) I am in the group of War Brides & Children & Diane Finley has specifically stated that there will be no fasttracking (assistance) for this group. (Incidentally, she is the MP where I live who would not help). Why should she have the choice of granting or not granting citizenship as she sees fit? I believe the whole Act needs rewriting and there would be no need to reinstate citizenship for all these people. I have five people in my family, in three of the groups - War Brides, children born on bases overseas and children who moved to US but never took out US citizenship. So I find it impossible that there are only a few hundred, as Mrs. Finley claims.
Thanks for letting me share this.