Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Reach for the Top!

Okay, I find this very depressing and I make a wee bit more than minimum wage. I really should have stayed in school and got me an edumacation or at least hung out with a better connected crowd!

The new year is only two days old, but that's all the time it took for the country’s highest-paid CEOs to earn the annual salary of the average Canadian.

Minimum-wage workers would have barely rolled out of bed on New Year’s Day by the time the country’s top earners pocketed $15,931 — an amount that will likely take low-paid workers all of 2007 to make.

I'm just guessing here, but now think about what some of the top paid pro athletes, movie stars and musicians make. Don't blink as in that time they no doubt made more than you will in a life time! I don't agree that this is any reason to justify raising the minimum wage in Ontario to $10.00 an hour though. I'm sure the average mom and pop shop out there would go broke in a hurry and they certainly are not in a category anywhere near the folks in this article. okay now go get all depressed like me by reading the whole story, or not...

4 comments:

ABFreedom said...

I seen a piece on Fox about Christmas bonuses on Wall Street. The average was 100K ... I definitely am in the wrong profession.... :-(

Candace said...

Surprisingly, there was a very good debate at Cherniak's site on this. Not to worry, Tim, receptionists in Edmonton are getting $16 minimum these days, just to answer the phone.

sad

Tim said...

I saw that one too AB... and then the CEO of Home depot and his severence of what the hell...$210 million US! Is this not insane!

Haven't made my daily stop at cherniaks yet, been busy workin on a co workers comp... IDIOT! anyways... there is an explanation for the wages here, not so much in Ontario though at the moment from my understanding... I need to have a little sit down chat with the bosses very soon...

Chimera said...

As a sort-of side issue (since minimum wage is not exactly luxury living, and there are people who are on the edge of starvation if they have debts to pay and a family to feed), you might find this blog interesting:

http://hungryforamonth.blogspot.com/

I found the link on The Consumerist today. Interesting experiment. Reminds me of the late Emery Barnes, a local MLA who spent a month living in one of the downtown SROs on a fixed amount of cash so he could prove a point about the inadequacy of the welfare system...