Tuesday, January 02, 2007

So much for that idea

OOPS!... The Canadian government agreed to give last surviving WW I vet a state funeral when he dies. There are three left who are all over 100, and not one of them is interested in the idea. Perhaps someone should have asked them about this first?

The niece of one veteran, Lloyd Clemett, said her uncle would rather have a simple memorial service.

The other two remaining veterans, Percy Wilson and John Babcock, are over the age of 100 as well. Both have indicated that, for now at least, they are not interested in a state funeral.

Veterans Affairs officials said they're aware the three veterans don't want state funerals and they're looking into other options. They would not say what those options are.

Perhaps Veterans Affairs will have a state funeral for the last surviving veterans last surviving pet? If none of these three fine gentlemen want it, leave it alone. They have more than earned the right of refusal.

7 comments:

Candace said...

Gee, what a surprise.

To summarize, you are saying that the WWI vets did what they did NOT for glory, NOT for recognition, NOT for fame, but because it was the right thing to do.

Go figure.

I'm just glad it wasn't a CPoC motion.

Tim said...

I guess thats sums it up pretty well Candace. But your wording is much better than mine. I am not blessed with good writing skills... might be due to a lack of edumacation...

It was a good idea, no matter who brought it forward. I just find it funny that no one bothered to ask the ones it concerned, beforehand.

Chimera said...

I'm not finding it quite so funny in the sense of amusement. Funny ironic, maybe. I'm frankly appalled that the Dominion Institute continues to lobby for this grand idea of theirs even after having heard the three veterans and their families say "No, thank you."

Doesn't anybody in government listen to the people for whom they act?

Guy Fawkes had the right idea.

Tim said...

You want to be executed for treason and attempted murder Chimera? oooohhhhh "the right idea", I'm going to assume your are not including the piss poor execution of that idea. Pun intended!

Candace said...

Tim, for the record, high school only. But I read TONS.

Tim said...

You did better than I Candace... I found school boring, not challenging and left after grade ten.... silly me... I've payed for that descision many times over... so to speak... I read ton's as well... but my memory is terrible at retaining anything... I am a hands on type, give me anything that is broken, if I can't fix it no one can... :)

"Funny ironic" is what I meant as well Chimera...

Chimera said...

Re treason: Back in high school, some of my class got into a great discussion with our history teacher (who was wonderful at pulling you into understanding what you were trying to learn). We got it worked out that you could only be held accountable for treason if your coup failed.

If Fawkes & Co. hadn't been found out, they very well might have formed a whole 'nother government...and we might be living in a totally different world...

...all of which is a roundabout way of saying that I don't intend getting caught at anything! 8D