Saturday, December 16, 2006

Seeking the Truth

As a blogger, I do a lot of reading every day. Searching out news from all over the world trying to stay informed on the so called "hot topics of the day". I rely on "truthfull, un-bias, non editorialized, un-spun reporting from many news sources. Can I truely rely on any of the reports I read? That is doubtful. Thus why I read many reports on the same issue, and "average out" what I read to come to some kind of truth on a specific story. I also read many blogs as well to see what the "average person" like myself is thinking/saying to add to my own reasonings. After reading blogs for any length of time, one can determine their personal bias, and a rational person can filter out the extremes to either side rather quickly(my personal bias taken into account). I create a somewhat balanced approach to the information I store in my personal organic hard drive, my brain(again with my own personal bias added) as well as posting my biased oppinion on the topic on this blog. Notice that I make note that there are bias in blogs. They are after all, a personal opinion on the news, not the news itself. This would be so much easier to do if what the media reported was just the facts, rather than the facts coupled with the spin/bias of the author/editor of that media. Makes perfect sense right?...lol. I was happy to see someone in the media is getting it! Tom Glocer is the Chief Executive Officer at Rueters. On Tuesday he posted on his blog, a speech he made at the Globes Media Conference in Tel Aviv. Parts of which follow:

The blogosphere provides accountability. They’re not always going to be right. Indeed, many of the accusations levelled at traditional media are partisan in nature – but some are not. We have to listen to the bloggers – we shouldn’t ignore them.

We learned that your reputation is only as good as the last photograph you transmit, or the last story you file.

The final lesson we learned was this – more than ever the world needs a media company free from bias, independent, telling it as it really is, without the filter of national or political interest.

Telling the story truthfully is more important than ever. Reporting it without spin and without editorializing is critical if history is to accurately record events.

I applaud Mr. Glocer and hope his efforts are successful in bringing the reality back to the media.

H/T CJUNK via LGF

4 comments:

ABFreedom said...

Hmmmmmm ... the words must past the test of time, and he is but a small fragment in a pool of bias that continues to leak... if true, the truth would be a most welcomed event.

Tim said...

AB, you are sounding very philisophical tonight. "if true, the truth would be a most welcomed event." Very well put....

Candace said...

Thanks for linking that. It was a very thoughtful & thought-provoking speech. I wonder if anyone from GlobeMedia attended? (yeah, right).

Imagine - blogging nuns!

Tim said...

You are very welcome Candace. Just trying to do my small part in speading some truth or at least my bias of the truth.... :)