Sunday, December 10, 2006

Things that go "clunk" in the middle of computing

Listening to some tunes, surfing a few blogs and suddenly I hear a clunk from within the case of my main XP machine. The music goes into phyco mode, and the computer locks up solid. WHAT THE HELL! Quicky disconnect the power, detach all the other wires, usb, monitors, speakers and such. Pull the side of the case off and what to my surprise pops out? The CPU fan and heat sink. The lovely CHEAP plastic retainer that came with the over priced Intel chip broke and the works fell onto my very expensive graphics card. Thankfully no damage occured to anything, I think. Went to my parts bins found an older but metal retainer, a little dab of Artic silver, put it all back in place and walla all is back up and running just fine. Or at least so far it is. Time will tell I guess. Thank you Intel for giving me this test and proving my reasoning why I hord old parts for computers.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmmmm ... never really had them kind of problems ... I do all my work on a Mac ... ;-)

I see expletives in my future.... LOL

Tim said...

Hell no. Each to their own. I have nothing against macs other than they are also over priced. I build my own PC's so mac is pretty much out of the question or was. Not sure what their new ones using intel chips are like. I have 3 boxes running XP and two running linux, one of which is a server. Okay I am a bit of a geek what can I say.

Anonymous said...

heh .. we run multiple operating systems on the same box... mac, linux, and windows.... No emulation either, and all native. I'm kind of a Mac/Unix/Linux geek, but sometimes we set up boxes and push them to the limit just to see what we can get away with. Our horsepower machines are our xserves though. Hot swappable drives, tons of control, and headless.

Tim said...

I said "bit" of a geek... not A GEEK! Show off.....:P