Monday, April 02, 2007

Happy as a Pig in the Mud

There could be some truth in that old saying. Scientists in the UK and Canada have found that dirt could very well be good for you. Boosting the immune system as well as stimulating the brain to make you happy. This may explain why every kid in history has eaten at least one handful of dirt!

Lead researcher Dr Chris Lowry said: "These studies help us understand how the body communicates with the brain and why a healthy immune system is important for maintaining mental health.

"They also leave us wondering if we shouldn't all spend more time playing in the dirt."

I have always had my doubts about the value of using the anti bacterial cleaners. My reasoning is basically what these scientists are saying. The more we expose ourselves to, the better off our immune systems will be. By over using anti bacterial cleaners we are not allowing our bodies to build up any resistance to the every day bacteria that we normally encounter day in and day out. I also suspect that those same bacteria build up a resistance to those cleaners and become the super bugs that are becoming more prevalent in our hospitals. I am no scientist by any means, but I do have a bit of common sense and logic left in me. Besides have you ever seen a avid gardener who was not happy muddling away in their dirt?

No comments: